How To Love Yourself In 17 Ways
Are you hoping to find out how to love yourself?
Well, you have landed on the right place.
I would like to share ways so that you can learn how to love yourself. My intent is to help others who are facing difficulties with embracing themselves. Readers such as yourself. You see…when I first began to be aware that I need to love myself first prior to developing any meaningful relationships with others, I realised that I did not know where to start.
It was a surprising revelation for I would have thought I’d be an expert on love by then. After all, as I recalled, relationship matters had been a key focus in my younger days. My time was spent on going on dates and looking for a potential partner. Over cups of latte, I would have long conversations with my girlfriends about relationship issues. As things turned out, I found myself failing miserably in my early relationships. I was in and out of love.
It took going in circles to realise that my issues were mainly rooted in a lack of self-love. It dawned on me that my external search was meant to fill the void or emptiness I had inside. It is true that I have had great challenges with finding a good relationship with myself.
Upon closer analysis, I also realised that self-esteem and self-love are issues that are often related together. Your belief is that you are not good enough to be loved.If you perceive yourself as a failure, weak or stupid, mustering love for yourself can be very difficult. You are not able to embrace yourself unconditionally.
Learn How to Love Yourself Unconditionally
Learning how to love yourself may feel unnatural for a start since you could have been ingrained with negative beliefs for decades.
However, nothing is going to happen if you do not FIRST make a conscious decision. By not loving yourself adequately, you are basically telling the Universe that you are unworthy or undeserving of any love or positive outcomes that have the same vibrational match as love. Indeed, inadequate self-love can make it difficult to attract relationships, all the things you would love in your life….which sums up to abundance. You can find it nearly impossible to ever reach your highest potential!
Learning how to love yourself starts with knowing that you do have a choice. And it is up to you to consciously make the decision of loving yourself. The choice to make is clear: to love yourself unreservedly, without apology and in every way! (As one of my clients proclaimed upon awakening to self-love, “but of course…why would I choose otherwise?”)
Your intention is to be happy, love yourself and lead a fulfilled life. By making the conscious decision, you are really saying that you want to come alive. You accept that you are responsible for the outcomes that you experience in your life and would like yourself to shine from living a full life.
“Love yourself first and everything falls into line.”
Lucille Ball quotes (American radio and motion-picture actress and comedy star, 1911-1989)
Ready to come alive with happiness? Make the decision for self-love. Here are 17 ways on how to love yourself from now…
1. Fall in love with yourself. Think about what makes you You. Just like a flower that needs watering to grow, learn to nurture yourself in every way. Love yourself for all the good that you see and accept your flaws and the fact that you are imperfect. This does not mean that you do not learn to change from your shortcomings; instead, you are being gentle and kind to yourself despite all perceived”flaws”. Look in the mirror and fall in love with the reflection that is You.
“To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.”
Oscar Wilde quotes (Irish Poet, Novelist, Dramatist and Critic, 1854-1900)
2. Eliminate Self Criticism. Do you often berate yourself over the tiniest thing? Is there a little voice inside your head that often tells you that you are no good because you are stupid or make mistakes? If you find that you often judge yourself, make an effort to stop the self criticism.
“I CAN is 100 times more important than IQ.” — unknown
3. Be Kind And Positive. When you start to think kindly and positively about yourself, the love you have for yourself just grows. Make it a habit to praise yourself everyday, while in the front of the mirror. Because of such thoughts, you naturally undertake empowering actions that support your development.
4. Acknowledge Your Effort. It is not always about winning or coming up tops in everything that you do. Many times, it is the effort that counts! Acknowledge that you have done your best, even if you have failed to produce tangible results.
5. Let Go Of Worry. Loving yourself requires you to let go of your worry. It is a horrible way to live a life filled with constant worrying. I can attest to that! Worry does not help in any way. It cannot, on its own, make things happen. Only wise actions can! So instead of worrying, spend time thinking about what you can do to help in the situation. If the situation is beyond your control, then make a request to the Universe/God about what you want. Next, surrender your outcome.
“There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will.” — Epictetus quotes (Greek philosopher associated with the Stoics, AD 55-c.135)
6. Trust Yourself. Have confidence in your abilities. Know that you have the ability to make important changes for yourself, for as long as you put your heart to it. You can also support yourself by visualizing desired outcomes.
“Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.”
Benjamin Spock quotes (American Pediatrician and Author, 1903-1998)
7. Forgive Yourself. If you have made mistakes in the past that had caused you to feel less worthy, then you need to forgive yourself. All of us make mistakes; so there really is no need to beat yourself up over them. Also, if you have been carrying around a baggage of emotional hurt because of a childhood trauma, learn to forgive yourself.
“To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.”
Lewis B. Smedes quotes
8. Be Truthful To Yourself. Loving yourself requires you to be truthful about your own feelings. If you are happy, acknowledge the joy. If you are sad, acknowledge the sorrow. When you are truthful about your feelings, you do not try to lie to yourself or seek to bury your negative emotions. Instead, acknowledging what you feel provides a good guide to what your thoughts are. And as we all know, thoughts can be changed, so that healing and self growth can take place.
9. Grow Spiritually. When you spend time growing spiritually, loving yourself becomes automatic. You become more peaceful, connected, kind, loving and compassionate. You nurture a mind that grows more beautiful by the day. You naturally love yourself in the process.
10. Make Positive Affirmations Everyday. Reframe your mind with positive affirmations. For instance, say this to yourself “I love and accept myself completely and unconditionally.” Read your affirmations out loud several times a day.
11. Express Gratitude. How to love yourself involves feeling blessed. Hence, express gratitude for the person that you are. For instance, cultivate an appreciation for your strengths and gifts. Also, feel a sense of gratitude that you are alive and well, and fully capable of making a difference in your life.
12. Nurture Your Dreams. Why deny your dreams? By pursuing your dreams, you get to love the life that you are leading. Every moment that you live is joy because you give yourself the chance for creativity. You are honouring your soul’s wish to create from your heart.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. —Mark Twain
13. Boost Your Self Confidence. Make a deliberate attempt to look for opportunities that can help improve your confidence. For instance, if you are particularly good at doing something, set aside more time to indulge and improve your skills on it. Knowing that you have particular gifts can boost your self esteem.
14. Relax. Give yourself space to take breaks every now and then. If you spend your time working, without paying attention to your health, it also means that you do not love yourself well enough to take care of your own body. Fill your time with silence, soothing music and visions of beauty; anything that nourishes your Soul.
15. Have Fun. Inject some fun into your life. Life is meant to be an enjoyable. Don’t take life or yourself too seriously. If you can think of life in this manner, you automatically relax and quit worrying over things that do not matter.
16. Look After Your Body. It is important that you strengthen yourself with proper nutrition and regular exercise. Your body is a temple and you should treat it with respect. It has been found that the lack of self love is often the root causes of conditions like eating disorders, obesity or even terminal diseases. Learn how to love yourself through applying self-care.
“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.”
Jim Rohn quotes (American Speaker and Author.)
17. Learn To See Beauty. When you learn to see beauty in every thing, you will also see beauty in yourself. Hence, stop to smell the flowers. Notice everything. Feel everything. The pink blush of flowers in your garden, the greenness of the plains, the whisper of the gentle wind and the surrounding aromatic scent.
Understand that learning how to love yourself involves a practice. Raising the self-love quotient to an adequate level may take some time. The following is a self-love affirmation that you can make on a daily basis…
“I am Me. In all the world, there is no one else exactly like me. Everything that comes out of me is authentically mine, because I alone chose it — I own everything about me: my body, my feelings, my mouth, my voice, all my actions, whether they be to others or myself. I own my fantasies, my dreams, my hopes, my fears. I own my triumphs and successes, all my failures and mistakes.
Because I own all of me, I can become intimately acquainted with me. By so doing, I can love me and be friendly with all my parts. I know there are aspects about myself that puzzle me, and other aspects that I do not know — but as long as I am friendly and loving to myself, I can courageously and hopefully look for solutions to the puzzles and ways to find out more about me.
However I look and sound, whatever I say and do, and whatever I think and feel at a given moment in time is authentically me. If later some parts of how I looked, sounded, thought, and felt turn out to be unfitting, I can discard that which is unfitting, keep the rest, and invent something new for that which I discarded. I can see, hear, feel, think, say, and do. I have the tools to survive, to be close to others, to be productive, and to make sense and order out of the world of people and things outside of me.
I own me, and therefore, I can engineer me. I am me, and I am Okay.”
Virginia Satir quotes (American Psychologist and Educator, 1916-1988)
Update News: Self-Love Secrets Book
I had written a book, Self-Love Secrets, arising from email questions written to me as a result of this post.
Would like to learn more about how to love yourself unconditionally?
Check out my Self-Love ecourse that covers how to love yourself in the mind, body and spirit –
Click Here for Instant Download of Self-Love Secrets
Please like and share this post on social media if you’ve enjoyed it. Thank you 🙂
I wish you much love and abundance always! xx Evelyn Lim